Jon Roche Web Blog

Easy way to post pictures and happening.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Black Tank Repair

Found a leak in my black holding tank.  Just under the support on drivers side.
crack in black tank
after plety of reading, and not wanting to spend the money or the labor to replace the tank.  I decided to repair the crack myself.

after cleaning it up, I started by using a map torch, to heat the end of a soldering pen.  and I was able to melt the plastic crack closed. 

I then used an epoxy on the crack.  It was a permatex plastic tank epoxy.  It worked good, with the exception of fighting the gravity.  lots of epoxy ended up on the ground. 
after epoxy cured
Then i was told that 3m 7200 was great stuff, so I put a bunch of that over the epoxy.  But the stuff I bought, cures in a week.  so it was hard to get as much as I liked over the area.  and it took all week for it to harden.  I found out later, they make the same stuff in a "fast cure" that hardens in 24 hours.

this repair so far seems to be good.  I feel it should be fine for a long time.  has survived a few weeks of being partially full with no leaks.  the big test will be next summer.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home