Easy way to post pictures and happening.
Atwood 15.5k A/C install
My GMC motorhome has a heat problem. The windows are great for seeing
out, and feeling like I am out in the open, but when the sun hits it turns into
a green house. Someday, I think insulation, and tinting the windows
will be the best way to solve that problem, but there is also an issue
with my roof A/C units, so I am fixing that this spring. My coach
has two original duo-therm A/C units on it. And they have both worked at
one time. The rear one, had an issue with a capacitor, and i fixed
that, only to have it quit blowing cold air later in the year. My front
one always has worked, but it us super loud, and I have to make sure i am
plugged into a higher capacity electrical service, and use a heavy duty
cord. So the last year, I have been researching A/C units, and I
have decided on the Atwood Air-Command 15.5K unit. It is advertised as an
energy saver, with better cooling output, and the specs does show it amps at
running are the lowest I have seen compared to other manufacturers.
so here is my pictures of the swap. I decided to move my working front
A/C unit to the rear, discard the rear A/C rather then figuring out why it does
not blow cold air anymore. And the Atwood will go in the front as our
Main unit.
I work at a great place, and i was able to bring my Coach to our shop, and
utilize a forklift. It made the job so much easier and safer.
 |
| Remove Box, and 4 bolts, and it pulls up. The original has this big metal plate glued down to the roof, and another plate inside. This is the original A/C tilted forward. |
 |
| removing the top plate, took some prying, and it left a silicon mess, and that black tar was a real pain to clean up. Mineral spirits broke it down, but it took alot of towels and time. and it got everywhere! The lower metal piece has a lip that goes under the headliner material about 1" on all 4 sides. We ended up cutting it apart to get it out. |
 |
| Rear A/C removed. I am glad not to have to remove this base plate |
 |
| Underside of original A/C unit. |
 |
| Finally Cleaned up, and ready for new one to go in. |
 |
| forklift really made this job pretty easy. no back straining! |
 |
| for the GMC motorhome, I was told on GMCnet what size bolts to buy, because we have such a thin ceiling thickness. otherwise you have to cut down the ones that come with the Atwood. The lower black plastic bolts up nice to the Atwood top portion. This picture also shows the little plenum duct that you cut to size, that goes between the upper unit, and the lower inside plastic. |
 |
| Picture of the bolt going into the upper unit nut insert. each one was real tight to the corners of the hole, but was a perfect fit. |
 |
| picture from other side, also showing the short duct. |
 |
| Installed |
 |
| Back of unit. Plastic shroud is not as sturdy as our original. |
 |
| Front. |
 |
| Inside. i am not a fan of the flip down controls, but I will live with them. |
1 Comments:
I know this was a very long time ago but you wouldn't happen to remember the size of bolts you bought? Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It will help me next month!
Post a Comment
<< Home