This is some older information that I am finally just getting up on the blog. Not to be an instruction manual to install a fridge in the GMC, you can e-mail me if you want to discuss further, but just to give some pictures to look at and some items to ponder.
Changing from an original fridge to a propane fridge is not as basic as one might expect. There are some things to learn and understand.
I had an original Norcold 110v/12v fridge in the GMC and it worked fine, except it was a little loud, and it drained my batteries down fast. I installed solar, bumped up the battery bank, but it was pretty obvious that I could not go more then a couple days without dead batteries with that fridge running on 12v. There was a few tricks I would do to help like put ice in the fridge, but the real answer for me was to upgrade to a propane fridge. I just have been putting that off because there was other things that needed money spend on then replacing a working fridge. I am also cheap, and just could not see myself spending $1000+ on a new fridge.
So looking for a few years, and I passed up on one deal, thinking I had lost my one chance. I was searching craiglist for Dometic rm 2652 fridges, because I just seen more of that model out there, and it seemed they were easier to find, and parts were easier to come by. It was that model, that they have made for years, that would fit between the wheel well, and the ceiling, with only minor adjustments made to allow a fit. ebay has parts, and it looks like to be a very common fridge as compared to a norcold.
The other thing I learned after picking up the Dometic fridge, is there are I believe 3 manuals. The owners manual, and installation manual, and a service manual. Each one has a little bit more information on exactly how to install it, and what clearances are needed.
 |
| Original fridge removed. it was a tight fit to get it out the door. |
 |
| Looking from the outside in after the fridge was removed |
 |
| fridge hole after it was removed. I had installed a 110 outlet that ran off an inverter to power the fridge at one point. |
 |
| fridge opening had to be enlarged a little bit. cutting out this piece made the opening correct. |
 |
| cut |
 |
| Had to redo the entire back plane of the opening. very tight fit for the top rear of the new fridge. |
 |
| started cutting, ended up removing the entire rear plywood panel, and rebuilding. |
 |
| had to make a spacer to move the fridge toward the hallway by about 3/4 to 1 inch. in order for top rear of fridge to fit. |
 |
| made a piece of aluminum to direct the heat up to the top vent. |
 |
| Lined rest of opening with reflectix, and used metal backed foam board for the rear. You also see my valterra thermostatic controlled fan to help pull air up and out mounted in the roof vent. |
 |
| ready for new fridge. you will see angled metal backed foam to direct air to the fridge and up over the coils. This was described in one of the 3 manuals that talked about installation methods and clearances. |
 |
| installed. |
 |
| rear view of angled foam board to direct the air. |
Not shown my photo, I installed a shower drain at bottom rear of fridge compartment that goes into wheel well to the outside. That allows any propane build up a route to escape. I also ran a copper propane line from the propane compartment, behind the bath module(under sink) and into the fridge compartment.
3 Comments:
Nice write up. I am about to start installing my fridge in a couple weeks. Do you have any pics by chance of where the propane line goes from tank compartment into the sink cupboard compartment. I keep looking and am not sure where it would match up on mine?
Thanks!
Travis
I just seen this comment. It says 2:30 pm, but what day??
did you get this figured out? I drilled from the top of the propane compartment, and ran a copper flex line from that, behind the waterheater/under the bathroom sink. then into the fridge compartment. I put vinyl hose over the copper to help with any potential rubbing on the copper from vibration. It was pretty much on the upper outside of propane compartment. I will try to get a picture tonight.
It was the other week. I did get mine run last week. Right where you said. Thanks!
Travis
Post a Comment
<< Home