Jon Roche Web Blog

Easy way to post pictures and happening.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Microlevel


One of our GMC Greater Midwest Classics members has designed a new air leveling system, and at our spring rally I had the assistance of Keith Vasilakes in person to assist me in installing  his "MicroLevel" air leveling system in my coach.   Keith had shipped me the wiring harness a month earlier, and I had installed the harness a few weeks prior to our Rally.  His harness was a simple task to install at home with the GMC on ramps.   It consists of just a simple signal cable that follows along the brake lines  that go to the rear wheel wells, then up to the dash.
.











My 75 coach had a PO added electro-level 1 system installed that consisted of  standard EL1 switches located where the old the power level valves used to be with a stack of 6 air valves mounted to an aluminum plate near the wiper motor.   My air system has never worked consistently over the 9 years I have owned my coach.  I have worked on it many times, but it seemed  I was always chasing leaks and problems, and forced  to go back to my marked wood stick to set height ride height before i drove away.


  


Keith’s microlevel system has some great features and as it turns out,  it is not difficult to install as proven since we installed the system at the campsite in a few hours, with only one trip to the hardware store for some misc. brass fittings.


The first thing we had to do, was re-plumb my 6 solenoids into 4.  There are now 2 solenoids  to dump air, and the other 2 add air to the airbags.  His system uses just a single airline from the compressor to the air valves and 2 airlines leaving the air valves, each one going to one of the 2 airbags.   There is a set of wires that go to the "microlevel" controller that fits neatly in the dash of coaches with the dash mounted air controls, and we needed to tie in a constant 12v and a ignition switched 12v, as well as re-wire the relay to the compressor as the microlevel now controls when the compressor has power.






The Micro-level system comes with a keyfob with 4 buttons for  right side up and down and left side up and down.   So you can manually adjust the airbag height on each side remotely.  That feature is very handy for filling up with fuel, and for dumping the black tank.   Microlevels’s main feature is automatic control for both "travel" and "camp/auto level".       Once it is calibrated  for your coach's ride height, and also calibrated when your coach is level, witch is simple to do,  it controls the coach’s height automatically.   When you press the "travel button"   the coach goes to the set ride height.   When you press the  Camp Button it automatically levels your coach.   


 


For this to work, his system uses electronic ride height sensors that must be installed in place of the original ride height valves:
:






When I started working with the airlines, I quickly found that the old air lines were brittle in many places that I was unaware of    So I decided to replace them.  The micro level only needs one line to each air bag.  So that really simplifies the lines you actually need to replace.  I am guessing most coaches are the same and the plastic lines are one bump away from a failure.     
 


 





More information on the Mirco-level system can be found here:
http://www.gmcmotorhomemarketplace.com/vasilakes/microlevel_intro.pdf












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home