Jon Roche Web Blog

Easy way to post pictures and happening.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Two summers ago I went to fire the onan up and run the air.     Generator fired up as usual. But no power inside.     

I installed a bridge rectifier and still no power. 

The next year,  after a super hot week in south Dakota, it was eveident that I needed to do something about the generator!

I pulled the onan out and found a broke wire in tge “field coil”











Then the motor blew up and this project got sidelined 



Fast forward to 2019.   I have found an field coil.  But I also had robbed some parts off my onan to help another gmc.  I had also bought an onan 2800 microlite.    And then a ev6010 fell into my lap.  



Been at a gmc’s garage out in seattle a few years.  It was also propane powered.  

GMC owners at their best,  I was aware this generator might come my way last fall, so in talking to another GMc owner, he had a
Parts generator and hooked me up with most of what I needed for converting it back to gas.  
In talking to tge ev6010 expert, he claimed that propane is no good for these as the valves burn up.   I checked compression and all seemed ok on this unit. 





Removed the rest of the onan.   Also the batteries need to get moved an inch closet to the rear of coach for honda to fit. 




Cleaned up the compartment and added some 10mm sound proofing/heat shield stuff I bought off amazon. 



There is a good install manual for the honda.  I  was lucky the PO of the honda had already used the template and made the plywood mounting base.  

I missed taking the photos of the back to gas conversion.  Parts are easy to find for the honda- but spendy.  The propane was feeding the same original honda gas carb,  but was missing the float bowl and a 1/2 dozen other parts such as fuel pump, lines,
Pump bracket.   

For some reason this ev6010 A/C generation wiring was all messed up.  Video’s from pinellas power products, allowed me to fix that too.  I still have no idea what was going on with that as they had all sorts of things backwards and even an extra transformer wires in. 



Fits nice.    The onan just had 2 wires feeding the power plug to the coach.   About 3”
Inside the conduit, they split the 2 wires(hot and neutral) to 4. (2 hots. Neutral and the ground).   It took some yanking, but I pulled that out and pulled in the 4 separate cables coming off the Honda.    

It has a honda muffler.  But I quickly seen that it was not going to fit.  The macerator for sure was in the way,  but the frame was as well.  There are a couple different mufflers for this, so curious to see what others have done.  So a trip to the exhaust shop to have the muffler installed was needed:








Need 8’ of wire, but should of bought 10.    It was close and could use a few more inches at each end.  I installed a junction box, and right now the cables just pass through it.  If I ever have to pull out the honda, i will cut the wires at that box.  


The honda is running and seems to be running well.   I have not run it more then 30
Minutes at a time.    It is Louder then I remember.  It is not so much exhaust as it the entire thing.  The sound of the muffler does not seem that bad??

I did add some more soundproofing to ghe door.  But you have to have air flow, so cant seal it up entirely.    Driving down the road it is fine as there are plenty of other noises that mask the sound.     But at 6000 watts, it rubs both A/C’s without missing a beat.  And that is what I need.    Lots of power. 

I am still going to fix my onan.  But installing this honda was a little faster then refurbishing the onan.   That will be a winter project I think. 





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home