Sf-30 furnace
I have always had ok luck with the sol aire. I made sure i had 2-3 fresh co detectors and had the burner out years ago and made sure things were clean. But it has a bad reputation and is old. It also is a little finiky and needs to be reset too many times.
I finally picked up a sf-30 furnace in almost new condition from
Someone making their camper into a cabin and needed a different furnace for that.
I installed it at an angle last fall in order to match up the wall vents. I drilled a new hole in coach for the verticle exterior vents as compared to horizontal on the sol aire.
Witch couch base removed and the lower cabinet floor, there is enough
Room to work. The solair comes out and the sf-30 goes in easy on my 75 model.
The sol-aire is a closed system. It ducts in cold air. The sf model does not have ducted return air. But my palm beach has louvered cabinet doors, so I had enoug air flow.
I then learned of silicone flex hose during my install. So this spring(2021). I remounted the furnace flat to floor and used the flex duct for the intake and exhaust. It is rated to 600 degrees and from an ir gun the exhaust is 300-400.
Pretty nice shape for used.
The sol aire. Big and heavy. The back duct is return air. It is now a heat duct.
Back side as seen from inside cabinet. You have a little plenum that splits to two heat ducts. Way back you have another return air duct. I just left that one hanging for extra return air on the suburban.
Removed. You have to take the front plenum off. Remove outside vent covers. And a few screws
To floor.
I had to really have it at angle. The heat now goes down into a
Modified plenum.
You can take the guts out of the suburban so you can work with just the cage
To get it to fit.
Couch interfears with the vents. I could not find adapter to work, but the gmc vent hose fits just inside the suburban collar so just taped
It on with foil tape.
The suburban is
Meant to remove guts for service out the front of the cage. With gmc cabinet and this is just a little wide. Furnace will have to be
Completely removed to do any work on it.
I was not happy, so here is me doing the remount this spring:
Mounting plenum
I cut and made a flange out of angle alumimum. The.n cut cage and had
To patch old hole.
Sits nice. Just need
To deal with vents.
I was fortunate to be the 2nd guy this spring installing one of these. So he picked up some silicone hose for me.
The exhaust hose was 1 3/4ID i think. Fit perfectly on outside of furnace exhaust pipe tight. But inside of the exterior trim vent after I cut that down. So I taped it up to make sure it sealed and can’t get loose... it was forced so not coming loose.
The intake hose is a little larger.
My paint need help...
Right side is suburban vent.
Left is old sol aire vent.
I cut a piece of aluminum the size of the original vent and made a backer plate. So that just a cover now for the old hole.
The heat vents no longer in the way of the couch frame. I never hooked up the 2” hose that goes to old sol air aux blower behind the stove. I had that blower disconnected a long time ago.
The gas line is a 36” long 3/8 supply line from home depot that Hooked up easy to existing fitting in cabinet.
1 Comments:
Nice comprehensive description, will be of great help when I swap out the sol aire - thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home